Through this article, I am going to explain how you can turn off the last active status through Facebook Messenger.
Hey, its Frankie here again and today I want to tell you another technology trick to help you disable your ‘Active Status’ information on Messenger.
One of the features of Facebook Messenger is that you can see the last time a contact was online and used the app, and consequently, offer that same information to your family and friends.
This has many applications for the user, for sure. If you are here now, you are likely continuing to read because you are less than thrilled about the feature.
You might even be asking: Frankie, is there a way that I can remove the “Last Active” status and appear offline while using the Facebook Messenger?
Sound about right? Don’t worry – I’m here to help.
If you can give me a few minutes of your free time I can assure you that you will learn a short, simple method for turning off your Facebook Messenger Active Status.
Then take a little bit of time and get someplace comfortable – let’s start immediately focusing on the task at hand.
When this is all said and done you will be so happy and satisfied with the information, and if necessary, even be able to provide this same information to any interested friends and family.
Wanna see if I’m right?
Before I begin, I have two important things that you need to hear.
1. Deactivating Active Status Only Works Locally
If you want to completely disable the status of your activities on Messenger, you must change the settings for each device that you use this service on. These changes only affect the specific device used.
Let me give you an example. Let’s say you turn off Active Status from Messenger on your smartphone, this is still going to be active on your Facebook profile if you are accessing it from a PC. To turn this off completely, you must complete this on the Facebook website, the Facebook mobile app, and also the Messenger mobile app.
2. Disabling Active Status Does Not Mean You’re Safe
Some people are deactivating their Active Status to throw a jealous partner off their scent when they want to become a private detective. Ideally, you want to hide your Facebook activities – though this will not keep you as safe as you might think.
Your phone can get easily spied on, and I would entirely suggest that you, my friend, also take a few minutes to read an article I have comprised on how you can avoid having your phone spied on.
I should stress once again that even if you are turning off the “Active Status“ on your social media account, it does not mean that you are safe. It is a positive step towards protection, but there is more you need to do to protect your privacy.
Turning off Facebook Messenger Active Status
If you find yourself interested in how to appear offline using Facebook Messenger and remove Active Status information, I have included the steps to complete below. You can complete this task using the Messenger app, the Facebook app, or on Facebook’s website.
Let’s get started.
Turn Off Active Status with Facebook on a Browser
You need to follow these steps:
- Launch Facebook on your computer, and if not logged in automatically with saved credentials, sign in.
- In the top right corner select the Messenger icon.
- List of your latest conversations will appear. Choose the three dot icon at the top of the screen.
- Choose Turn Off Active Status.
- A pop-up appears asking to what extent you wish to limit accessible information, such as turning it off for everyone or choosing specific contacts you wish to exclude. Once you select, confirm with Ok.
Turn Off Active Status on Facebook’s Mobile App
The steps to follow work on either iPhone or Android.
Here is what you do.
- Launch Facebook app on your smart phone.
- Tap the three horizontal line icon for your menu. On iPhone, this icon is located in the bottom right of the screen. Androids will have this menu in the top right corner.
- Scroll down till you see Settings & Privacy section. Click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down to the Audience and visibility section and tap Active Status.
- Turn off Show when you’re active by moving the available slider toggle left to Turn Off.
Now you are free to use your Facebook App without actually appearing online to your contacts. If you want to maximize this status even more, the next step will disable the option using the Facebook Messenger app.
Turn Off Active Status on Facebook Messenger App
Almost there! One last push and you will have learned to disable your active status through the Facebook Messenger app as well.
Much like the last option, there is no differences between iPhone and Android.
- Open the Facebook Messenger app on your device.
- Tap on the top left of your account icon (where the profile picture usually is).
- Click Active Status.
- In the new screen, under Show when you are active, move the slider toggle left to turn it off.
- Confirm your choice by tapping Turn Off in the pop-up window that appears.
You’ve done it again!
Now, no one will know if you are online with the Messenger app. For this measure of privacy, you also lose the ability to see if others are online without turning the Active Status back on again.
- Appear offline on Facebook App and Messenger by turning off this Active Status option on Facebook with a browser, through the Facebook app, or through the Messenger.
- Once this is off, you cannot see the active status of your contacts, either.
I hope the information provided within this guide has been helpful.
If you have any further questions or concerns about keeping others from accessing this sensitive information, you should not hesitate to leave a comment in the box below and I can get back to you.
For more guides and tips on Facebook Messenger I suggest you to follow my YouTube channel or my Instagram page.
PS – Alright, I’m sure you might be interested to know what the blue dots mean on Messenger.