I want to use this guide to show you how to send or receive money using Facebook Messenger. Also, I intend to answer the most common questions I get asked on this topic, including how safe it is to send money with Messenger or how much you can send through the service to a recipient.
Hello everyone! Welcome to my blog. Allow me a chance to introduce myself. I am Frankie Caruso, a messaging app expert and lover of hacking techniques and tricks to maximize what you get out of these services.
With this guide I am writing today, I want to talk to you about sending money through Facebook Messenger.
I can split this guide into three parts to make it a little easier for everyone to digest. First, I want to show you the steps for sending money through the Facebook Messenger app. Secondly, I would like to show you how to receive money that someone else has sent in this manner. Last, I am going to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about transferring with Facebook Messenger ranging from security and privacy to what cards are accepted.
Since 2015, Facebook users have had the option to send money to friends and contacts through Messenger. Unfortunately, this is not a feature that is currently available globally. Currently, the service is only available in the United States.
You might see this, as many have, as an alternate and safe manner of making payments. It can be quicker method than traditional transfers for those that both use the Messenger app.
- Facebook allows all of its users (those in the US currently) to send and receive money through the Messenger app with Facebook Pay. This is a free secondary service with the app.
- Facebook acts as a financial middleman between those who send and those on the receiving end.
- It is completely safe to send money through Facebook to people that you know. The team Zuckerberg put together for this developed software that protects the users while continuously safeguarding from hackers and bots.
Before you use the service for making payments, take a minute to appreciate some important details:
- You can make (or receive) payments only if you have linked a Visa/MasterCard debit card from your bank or a PayPal account to your Facebook.
- You must be over the age of 18 to use Facebook Pay.
- You can send money to trusted friends and family.
- You and your friend must both live in the US.
So, let’s get right to it and see how you can send money through Facebook to your friends.
One of the main advantages of using Messenger to send/receive payments is that you can easily split the costs of something like a meal between several people. For example, if a group discussion led to a purchase or a shared meal, everyone involved can split the cost evenly.
Sending Money with Facebook Messenger
NOTE: you must have the Messenger app installed on your phone.
Below, you will find three simple steps to follow to set up an account so you can send money through the Facebook Messenger app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Never used this service before? First, you need to link a Visa or MasterCard debit card or a PayPal account to your Facebook profile. Log in to Facebook Pay through this link and add you preferred payment method and a PIN to authenticate any payments you intend to make. The PIN is not a mandatory thing, but I would advise everyone to make one to prevent any unauthorized or even accidental payments. Choose a code that people you know are not likely to guess.
- Next, open up a new conversation with a person that you want to send money and then tap the plus (+) symbol in the bottom left corner of the screen. Options will then expand.
- Click on the ($) icon and enter an amount of money that you want to send to this contact. Tap ‘Pay’ and then it’s sent.
You should always remember to include a reason for sending the money. It is not mandatory to do this, but it might be useful for your own records.
Look at you! You have sent your very first payment through Facebook Messenger!
You should always ensure that you have the appropriate funds in your account before beginning a transfer to avoid overdraft charges or bounced checks.
Receiving Money Through Facebook Messenger
Requesting money from a contact is just as fast – you just have to follow these simple steps.
- If you want to receive money from a contact, you still need to first link a Visa/MasterCard debit card from your bank or a PayPal account to your Facebook profile. Log into Facebook Pay by clicking on this link and then add the payment method you prefer.
- Open up a chat with a user whom you wish to receive money from and then click on the plus (+) symbol in the bottom left corner.
- Choose the ($) symbol on this list and enter the amount that you wish to receive. Click ‘Request’ and send off a payment request for this amount to the contact.
It may take up to three working days for money to transfer to your linked bank account or your PayPal. It depends on the bank that you use in most situations.
The Security Measures Facebook Uses
You might ask Frankie, is sending money through Facebook Messenger even safe?
Using the Facebook Pay service and sending payments or receiving them through Messenger is completely safe.
How do I know this?
It is possible to include a PIN or even biometric identification (fingerprint, facial recognition, etc) through your device. Not to mention, there is an entire page of information about Facebook Pay’s security measures and privacy of its users.
The service is covered by anti-fraud technology which can track the purchases you make, money transfers, and more to detect any unauthorized actions in real time. Facebook would like to also emphasize payment data is stored separately from access data, and highly encrypted on top of this fact.
I would say one thing more clearly here: if your Facebook account gets hacked, the cybercriminal is not able to access Facebook Pay and your payment information to send to someone else or order items. On the topic of getting your Facebook account hacked, I wrote a guide on removing hackers or spyware from your Facebook Messenger account when you discover it. You might find it handy information to have – check it out by following this link.
FAQs of Facebook Pay
QUESTION NO. 1
How much money can I send with Facebook Pay?
The maximum amount of money that anyone can send/receive at once is $9,999. Likewise, the minimum that can get sent is one dollar.
QUESTION NO. 2
Does Facebook charge fees or collect commissions for payments?
Simply put, no. Facebook does not charge any fees or collect any commissions from money transfers through Messenger.
QUESTION NO. 3
When will money get into my account?
Most often, transfers only take about a day to complete. It depends on your bank and their specific policies. No transaction should take more than 3-4 days.
QUESTION NO. 4
Can I use payments available on Facebook Pay for my personal business dealings?
You cannot do this because you can only have these transactions with friends connected with Messenger, to purchase products available in the Facebook Markeplace, buy tickets to sponsored events, or make donations to fundraising efforts.
QUESTION NO. 5
Does Facebook Pay only work with Facebook?
No, this service is also available on both WhatsApp and Instagram. Currently, however, this service in any app is only accessible in the United States.
QUESTION NO. 6
When can I expect this to come to my country?
I have no good way of answering this question. It is currently rolling out in part through the UK. In other countries, you have to keep checking back with availability by clicking on this link.
I wanted to share everything that I know with you about sending money through Facebook. I hope the information you find in this guide can help you through the process and answer any questions that you might have.
Before we say goodbye, I would like to offer a quick recap.
To this day, you can send and receive money through Messenger only in the United States – between two parties both living in this country.
Sending and receiving money requires those involved to link a Visa/MasterCard debit card from their bank or a PayPal account to their Facebook profile.
It is possible to send as much as $9,999 without any fees/commissions. This is completely safe and secure to do. If you have any questions, concerns, or doubts that the guide did not address, feel free to leave a comment below so I can help. I will get back with you as quickly as I can.
Be sure to return for more quality information about the messaging apps you love.
I will be waiting with new tips and tricks.
PS – did you know that you can send/receive money on iMessage too? Find out how by reading my guide all about it.