For this guide, I would like to show you how to record the calls you make and receive on WhatsApp on your iPhone or Android device in 2021. I will give you only the best strategies and help illustrate this with images and videos.
Hello friends! Frankie Caruso (instant messaging expert and hacking technique enthusiast) here again to help you. Welcome to my blog.
Today’s guide is all about how you can record WhatsApp calls (voice and video) on your iPhone or Android.
Not everyone can recognize this trick, but any of these communications that you make can be recorded easily.
Let me start by saying that there is no inclusive feature for WhatsApp for you to do this, but there are multiple third-party applications to get you there. You can find these easily through simple queries on the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. There are also some tricks up my sleeve that might make even James Bond blush.
I have no intentions of wasting your time, so I am only going to show you the techniques that actually work for this.
I will start by showing you:
- How to record WhatsApp calls on Android using Cube ACR app or a dual device technique.
- How to record WhatsApp calls on iPhone using the Watusi app, or by using another device.
- A James Bond method to record WhatsApp call logs on someone else’s phone.
- Last I’d like to give you some tips on recording video calls with WhatsApp.
Wait a minute!
I know that you’re dying to get started, but we should pause for a minute.
There are a lot of reasons why you might want to record a call on WhatsApp. For example, you could be using this cause evidence to expose your partner’s adultery. If that is your goal, I suggest you take a look at a different guide then I put together about 3 ways to find out if your partner is cheating on WhatsApp. You might also be wanting to record these conversations for business dealings, or many other reasons.
No matter what your reason, there are two important things that you need to know:
- As I’ve already mentioned, you can record voice and video calls made on wot that. You do not have to be an IT expert, but you will need to follow this guide carefully.
- You can record WhatsApp calls without anyone knowing. If you do so without the authorization of the other color, this may be considered a crime in some countries. You should check with your state and local laws before recording anyone without their consent.
Now that we have that out of the way, we are ready to begin!
If you are not familiar with WhatsApp, I would suggest that before you continue reading you have a look about how to make calls on WhatsApp. You might find it very interesting.
Recording WhatsApp Calls on Android
Have an Android smartphone? Then you are at the right paragraph.
As I’ve mentioned in the introduction, there is no native feature that allows you to record audio or video on WhatsApp as of right now. There are external third party apps, as well as some experimental methods that you might consider as an alternative.
Let me explain in more detail.
If you’ve already done some research on Google, you may have noticed that many blogs suggest you could use software and mirror an Android phone on your PC. I personally don’t recommend these techniques because they are complicated, and in most cases, they don’t work the way they are intended.
Method 1 – Record Voice Calls on WhatsApp with the Call Recorder App
As you can find with only a brief search through the Google Play Store, there are many applications that claim to record calls on WhatsApp.
Now I have tested several of these, but the one that I recommend the most is Call Recorder – Cube ACR by Catalina Group. Not only is this a free application for Android phones, you can download it right from the official Google store by clicking on this link.
Call Recorder – Cube ACR allows you to record any calls to your number, whether this is Skype, WhatsApp, Facebook, Viber, or whatever social media app you use.
Let me show you how to use this application right away:
- Install and run Call Recorder – Cube ACR.
- Press the “Next” button on the welcome screen that appears. Once you’ve clicked on “Agree“, you can accept liability and Grant Permissions for the software to access your internal storage, microphone, phone feature, and your Contacts.
- Next, you will need to enable VoIP call recording. Click on the menu option which appears as three horizontal lines at the top left of the screen, and tap on “Recording Settings“.
- Make sure the item Ignore VoIP – Support Check is active. If not, press the button and confirm by choosing I “Understand“.
- Finally, click on “VoIP Recording Audio Source” and choose “Voice Call“. This should be the default setting , but make sure it is checked appropriately.
Congrats! You have configured the application to run just how you want it to.
From this point on, every time you receive or make VoIP calls through WhatsApp, a widget appears on the screen that allows you to manage the recording of this call. Pressing on the microphone icon that appears can allow you to enable or disable a recording. Press the second icon chooses whether you enable or disable recording for that specific contact.
When the call ends, the recording appears on the main screen of the Cube ACR app. If you so choose, you can add a comment, share the clip, or delete it.
As I have mentioned multiple times, there are other apps to record WhatsApp calls. 99% of these do not work, however. It makes you wonder how much crap is actually on the Google Play Store. Remember to check if your smartphone is on the list of those that work with Cube ACR. if it’s not there, use one of the other alternative methods I intend to share in the upcoming paragraph.
Method 2 – Recording WhatsApp Audio Calls with Another Device
So what do you do if your phone is not on the list of those that work with Call Recorder – Cube ACR?
First, let’s not worry about that too much. I have a solution for everything that ails you (more or less.)
Secondly, you always have the option of using another device. While this might seem extremely trivial, it is effective and simple to do.
Don’t have another smart phone? Try to borrow one of your friends or use an external recorder (many of which are available on Amazon for under $20). You can also utilize apps like QuickTime player on your Mac or Voice Recorder on Windows.
Don’t fret, I’m going to walk you through each of these steps.
First and foremost, you need to activate the registration.
- If you are using iPhone as a recorder, the best way to do so is with the Voice Memos app built in the operating system. If you are using an Android phone, the built-in Voice Recorder app is also a good solution. Alternatively, you can check the Google Play Store for many other free apps that fit this description.
- If you are using an external recorder as your alternative device, you must activate it. Typically, all this means is pressing a button that indicates your desire to start recording.
- If can also decide to use a PC or Mac to record with QuickTime (click here for more information) or Voice Recorder (click here for more information).
Now, you can start your WhatsApp call and turn on the speakerphone. The external device will record everything that is said.
A quick piece of useful advice, however. Don’t put the recorder too close to the phone you are using to make the WhatsApp call. You risk causing the sound to be muffled or distorted, not to mention run the risk of causing interference.
Recording WhatsApp Calls on iPhone
I’m not going to sugarcoat it, those with an iPhone have a lot harder of a time completing these tasks.
I will always tell you that the iPhone is full of both joy and sorrow.
So let me be clear, the iOS operating system is focused on its users privacy above all else. While this is absolutely a great thing in most senses, it can severely limit other functions at times.
A good example of this is not allowing third party apps to access the smartphone an microphone at the same time. This makes it impossible to record calls on WhatsApp.
So how do you get around this?
Fortunately, you have two options. One involves the tweak used for WhatsApp and the other does not. Let me show you what I mean.
There are several blogs that will tell you that you should use a native Apple feature known as screen recording to capture your WhatsApp call. Unfortunately, this method no longer works at all.
Method 1 – Record Calls on iPhone Using Watusi
This is a tweak for WhatsApp, a ‘software’ allowing you to add features to the original WhatsApp base. One of these features allows you to record calls. As of the writing of this article, this is still regarded as the best WhatsApp call recorder available for the iPhone.
Before going farther, I want to tell everyone reading that Watusi is completely safe to use. It will not damage your iPhone in any way.
There are three ways to install it:
- Execute a jailbreak on your iPhone and download it directly from Cydia (the alternative Apple store).
- Without jailbreaking, you can install it from your Mac and PC through software called Cydia Impactor
- You can also avoid jailbreaking your phone by using the BuildStore, which is another alternative Apple store. You can find it for roughly $20.
I would tell nearly anyone not to jailbreak their phone, because it’s a tricky operation. As it stands, you cannot jailbreak the iOS 14 software, so you stand to cause malfunctions if you try.
Personally, I think the best and easiest way for you to implement an install Watusi for WhatsApp is the buyer directly for $19.99 from BuildStore.
Here’s how you do it:
- Unlock your iPhone and click on this link to get to the download page for Watusi.
- Click on “Select & Continue” to reach the payment process and choose PayPal or credit card. This is 100% secure transactions. Once you have paid, the download will start automatically.
- You’ll find a new WhatsApp app on your home screen. When you click on it, it’s Watusi.
- Insert your phone number and check the app.
- Now, you can find there is a new option available called “Watusi Preferences“. You can click on this define options like the ability to record calls. You can toggle visibility and make it active.
- Now that you’re done in the settings menu come you can go out to WhatsApp and call any of your friends. If a call is incoming, you will see soon that calls record automatically from the app to your device.
- If you want to re listen to phone calls that you have had, click on “Recent Panels“.
That is all you needed to do! Congratulations!
If you don’t want to pay the $20, and are somewhat familiar with your PC and Mac, you can install Watusi using the Cydia Impactor. Click on this link for step-by-step instructions.
Method 2 – Record WhatsApp Calls with A Different Device
So you’re reading this and you’re thinking “Frankie, did you really need to put in your guy that you could use another device to record calls on WhatsApp? This is literally the first thing that I thought”.
Let me be the first to remind you the simplest solutions are often the best.
If you cannot use Watusi on your iPhone, you can always choose to use an external device like a recorder. You can find them for only a few dollars on Amazon, but you can also use a different cell phone or even the QuickTime player on your Mac.
Here is how you should record audio calls through WhatsApp using another device without compromising the sound quality:
- Start by enabling the recording on your device to make sure that you don’t miss any of the call. Often, this is looking for a button marked REC. If you are using another cell phone to record, start by opening up the Voice Memos app from your iPhone or the Voice Recorder app on Android. If you’re using QuickTime on a Mac, you can start it by choosing “File” > “New Audio Recording“. if you have trouble doing this, you can click here for more information.
- Once you are recording, start the call on WhatsApp and activate your speakerphone.
- Keep the device you were recording about 50 centimeters away from the cell phone you are making the call with. This helps to preserve audio quality and limits distortion.
- Once the call is over, ensure that you stop the recording on your external device.
Congratulations! Now you know how to record a voice call on WhatsApp.
If you are using a recorder, make sure that it has enough available free space to record the entire conversation if it goes longer than expected.
[BONUS] Secretly Monitor Someone’s WhatsApp Calls with mSpy
Yes you heard that right, you can monitor someone else’s WhatsApp calls remotely.
It might feel like Hollywood spy gadgetry, but I’m not joking.
There is an app that allows you to spy on WhatsApp, called mSpy. If you’ve already had the chance to read other guides about this on my blog, or have seen it on popular spy sites, then you know how well regarded the software is.
This is completely invisible software you can install on a victim cell phone remotely. This allows you to read WhatsApp messages sent and received, view photos and videos sent or received, and even record the call log.
This is a record of the incoming and outgoing calls.
Unfortunately (or perhaps Fortunately depending on your perspective), you cannot record WhatsApp calls from the victim’s phone. The reason for this is simple – it is illegal. Having a list of people that a person calls can be useful for many reasons. If you suspect your partner is betraying you, this can provide you concrete evidence.
There is nothing illegal about mSpy as long as the victim is aware that it has been installed on their phone.
There are other apps similar in nature, such as FlexiSpy. The difference, is that this second software is much more complicated to install and requires the target phone to be jailbroken or rooted in order to put the program on the device.
Want to learn more about mSpy? You can learn how to install it and more about the software through a guide I wrote about how to install and use mSpy quickly.
What About Recording WhatsApp Video Calls?
A lot of you have taken the time to ask me is it possible to record a video call on WhatsApp?
I should report 1st that I have tested every possible way, testing more than 20 apps, but have failed each time.
As it stands, there is no effective way to record video calls on WhatsApp right now.
However, there are partial methods that you could attempt, for example, techniques that allow you to record just the video of your video call.
I realize that this is not entirely what you were looking for, but it might still be useful at times. I can show you one for your iPhone and one for your Android.
Recording WhatsApp Video Calls on iPhone
If you are running the iOS 11 or later, you have the option to record your screen on your iPhone for free without installing any additional apps.
This only takes a few steps to activate a screen recording.
- Go to the settings on your iPhone.
- Click on “Control Center” and go to “Customize Controls“.
- Scroll down until you reach “More Controls” and then press “Screen Recording“.
- This will now add a button to let you begin recording video.
When you want to start recording a video call, swipe down from the top to the bottom of the screen and then select the newly available option. See the image below for what this looks like.
Although this display recording feature can record audio, IPhone security settings prevent you from recording calls (either WhatsApp or VoIP.) you can only record the video part of your video call, none of the audio will come through.
Once you are done recording you can find these clips in the Photos app.
Record a WhatsApp Video Call on Android
It seems crazy, but Android does not have a built-in video recorder. When I discovered that, I was speechless as you are.
Luckily, this is a flaw that could be easily fixed. On the Google Play Store, there are millions of apps that allow you to record the screen. While there are many that work fine, I recommend AZ Screen Recorder.
Let me show you how this works.
- Log into the Google Play Store and search directly for AZ Screen Recorder. Once you find it, download and install it to your phone.
- After you have installed, open up the app. Once you tap on the icon, a widget appears in the center of the screen.
- By tapping on the red icon, you begin recording.
- Open WhatsApp and begin a video call with one of your Contacts.
- Once the video call is over, tap on the red icon again to stop the recording.
Again, just like with the iPhone, it is not possible to record audio in video from WhatsApp at the same time. This is due to security and privacy reasons.
I apologize if this guide turned out a little lengthy, but I tried to give you all the important information on the topic.
I hope that it has been a help.
Before I part ways, I would like to give you a brief recap of topics that we have discussed in this guide.
In the first portion of this article, we spoke about how to record WhatsApp calls on your Android and iPhone devices. I explained two techniques for each device, one that involves the use of an app designed to help you such as Watusi (iPhone) or Call Recorder – Cube ACR (Android), and the other through the use of an external device.
The second major portion of this guide talked exclusively about mSpy. This is spy software that you can install on a victim’s phone that allows you to record a call log and several other helpful things. This tells you who the target calls, and which calls they receive.
Last, I explained how to record video calls on WhatsApp.
Now that the recap is done, this is really it.
If you have any questions or concerns, or perhaps found alternate methods that work to record audio and video, please share them with us with the comment below. I will answer in person as soon as I can.
PS – I would suggest taking a look at my collection of tips and tricks exclusively for WhatsApp. I would imagine you’ll find many helpful features and hacks that could change your life. Check it out!