How do I install Facebook Messenger on my phone? With the help of this guide, you can not only download and install the application to your mobile device, but also Windows PCs and Macs as well.
Hello everyone and welcome to my blog. Let me introduce myself – I’m Frankie. I consider myself an expert on instant messaging applications, and I will be your guide through this content today.
Facebook Messenger is one of the most widely used messaging applications in the world. In 2020, the service boasts more than two million active users.
There are multiple benefits to the application beyond sending text messages to your contacts and family following you on Facebook. You can also make voice and video calls over the internet using the app.
Speaking briefly about these calls, I have put together a guide all about the best apps on the market for making free internet phone calls – both internationally and domestically. Might come in handy if you need this information.
Back to the matter at hand, though.
This guide is going to teach you how to install Facebook Messenger to iOS devices, Androids, Windows PCs, and Macs. Moreover, I will show you a neat trick to use Messenger without every having to download and install it.
Facebook Messenger is one of the free apps available to those in almost every country around the world. Even if you do not have a Facebook account you can use this app (yes, I even wrote a guide explaining how to use Messenger without a Facebook account).
Let’s get right to it.
If you have not downloaded and installed Messenger on your device. Here is how you can do that.
Installing Facebook Messenger on iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac)
Downloading, installing, and setting up the Facebook Messenger application on these devices is not complicated and requires no technological savviness.
Follow the instructions here to get a step-by-step look at how you can connect with your friends through Messenger.
- Click on this link and it will take you to the AppStore page to download the latest version of Facebook Messenger for your respective device
- Tap on “Install” and, if it has been awhile since you installed an app, you are going to have to enter your credentials. Once you enter the ID, the download commences, and you can install the application.
- Once the app gets installed, click to “Open”
- Once the installation process completes, you can sign into your Facebook account with those credentials, and then make choices like whether you allow notifications, enter your phone number, and decide if you are importing contacts. Alternatively, if you do not have a Facebook account, you can choose “Not on Facebook?” and follow instructions to use a phone number or email instead
That’s what you need to do!
Now you can chat with all of your Facebook friends by tapping on their names from the main screen of the application. You can also search for them in the provided bar.
Getting Facebook Messenger for your MacBook
If you have a Mac and want to install Facebook Messenger, there is a very simple way to do this.
- Click on this link to visit the AppStore where you can download Facebook Messenger
- Click on “Get”
- Enter your Apple ID Credentials if necessary
Once you have downloaded the program, it will be immediately available on the Mac.
To launch it, simply open the Launchpad and search for the Messenger app. Once you click on it you will be prompted to enter you Facebook account information to sign in. If you do not have an account, you can sign in with a phone number or email.
Remember that your app needs to stay up-to-date. You can avoid operation errors and use the latest features by keeping the app updated.
Install Facebook Messenger on Android
Install Facebook Messenger on Android by following these few, simple steps.
- You can click on this link to visit the Google Play Store and download the latest version of Facebook Messenger
- Tap the “Install” option
- When prompted, accept permissions before downloading can begin. Once you tap accept, the download starts
- When completed, you can install Messenger and then launch it from the app drawer or home page. Use your Facebook login credentials to access the app, or choose to sign in with an email or phone number instead
That’s all you need do.
Keep the app up to date. You will avoid bugs and have the latest features (call filters, Facebook rooms, etc.)
Install Facebook Messenger on Windows PC
For both the PC and the Windows phone, the installation process is exactly the same. Follow the simple steps below and start chatting/video calling with your contacts right away.
- Click on this link to access the Windows Store to download the Facebook Messenger App
- Click on “Get the App”
- Launch Messenger by clicking “Start” (if you are using the PC)
- Log in to Facebook with your account. If you do not have one, you have the option to sign in with a phone number or email through the “Not on Facebook?” link.
After setting up the application, you will have the option to choose if you want notifications and to import your contact list into your address book.
I would advise anyone to utilize both of these options, so you can tell immediately who is calling or writing. Importing contacts in your address book helps you to connect with all of your friends.
I have written a guide about using Messenger from PC (with and without the App.) If you are interested, take a look.
Bonus: Use Messenger Without Downloading the App
If you have an obsolete mobile phone, or don’t want to install new apps because of space constrictions, or maybe your PC doesn’t support the Facebook Messenger app (for example Windows Phones), you can use the service right from your internet browser.
- From your browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Mozilla, etc) go to Messenger.com. If you are on a desktop, you automatically open up in messages. If you are on a phone, you get a prompt to first download the app
- To avoid it, Android users can click the three dots in the top right and iOS users can press the share button in Safari
- Both of these choices bring up the option to request desktop site
- Press on this option, and then you can access your Facebook messages without installing Messenger
If your devices are old or not suitable for Messenger, consider Messenger Lite. This has less features and a smaller size. You can still send/receive messages and send/receive voice and video calls.
Get Facebook Messenger FAQs
I am experiencing issues with Facebook Messenger, how can I fix it?
The best route to take for this, often, is to uninstall and then reinstall Facebook Messenger to your device. Alternatively, you can also check if an update is available that you might have missed.
How can I update Messenger?
If you do not have automatic updates set to occur on your phone, then you have to manually check when specific updates become available for the apps that you have. It is simple to do, go to the AppStore (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) and type Messenger in the search bar. If the app icon has “Update” beside it, you can begin these by clicking this option.
Can Facebook Messenger get hacked?
Sadly, yes it can. There are many viruses that appear as links or hackers who can infiltrate your account and change your password. Luckily, there are methods you can take to prevent becoming a victim, or to recover your account in just a few minutes. I wrote a guide about it.
We have reached the end of the guide and hopefully the information that you have now can aid you in what you are working to do. Helping you is very satisfying for me.
Before saying goodbye, I will give you a short recap of what has been discussed.
In the earliest part of this guide, I gave you step-by-step instructions to install Facebook Messenger on iOS, Android, and Windows devices.
I have also showed an alternative method of accessing Messenger without installing the application.
Last, I answered some of the most common questions that I receive about Facebook Messenger and its vulnerabilities.
For now, that really is all that I have for you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave them in a comment below so that I can address them in a timely manner. I will get back with you.
Feel free to return at any time to visit my blog.
PS – If you are new to the service and want to discover all of the secrets of Messenger, I would advise you to check out my comprehensive guide – Simply Stated: How Does Facebook Messenger Work?