While Telegram groups are limited in size and better for small gatherings of family or friends, sending messages to unlimited users is easy with Telegram channels. This guide will teach you how to create Telegram channels on any device to broadcast your important information.
Did you know that Telegram channels are currently one of the best ways to send messages to multiple users at one time?
Hey there! I am Frankie Caruso, a nerdy Italian raised on spaghetti, pizza, and all social media platforms.
The quickest, surefire method of getting these tips and tricks right to your inbox regularly is to subscribe to my weekly newsletter.
This article discusses how to create Telegram channels quickly and easily on any device in just a few simple steps.
By mastering the use of Telegram channels, you can send important messages to an unlimited number of people at once.
In this guide, we’ll review three ways to create a Telegram channel:
1. How to create Telegram channels on Android
2. How to create Telegram channels on Apple
3. How to create Telegram channels on desktop
Each section will go over everything you need to do to make your Telegram channel from start to finish. Stay tuned until the end for answers to your most frequently asked questions on creating and using Telegram channels.
Telegram channels are excellent for broadcasting large quantities of information to numerous recipients. You can address your clients or customers via a Telegram channel in seconds. Here is a how-to for creating a Telegram channel for Android, iOS, and desktop.
How to Create Telegram Channels on Apple
Creating a Telegram channel on an Apple device like an iPhone or iPad is easy and can be completed in just a few steps, listed below:
- First, download the Telegram app to your iPhone or iPad via the App Store.
- In the top right corner of the next screen, tap the Message icon and then tap New Channel.
- Confirm that you want to create a new channel by tapping the yellow Create Channel button.
- Name your Telegram channel something unique. Then, tap on the Description box to add a short description for your channel. You can add a thumbnail photo here by tapping on the camera icon to the left of the channel name. Then, tap Next.
- Decide whether you will have a public or private Telegram channel. Public channels can be found by anyone searching online, while users must be added to private channels.
- If your Telegram channel will be public, you can create a URL that others can use to find it online.
- You also need to decide if you will allow users to download content from your Telegram channel. At the bottom of this screen, you will see an option to toggle Restrict Saving Content on or off. Turn this feature on if you want to prevent users from saving any of the text or images you broadcast on your channel. Then, tap Next.
- Add your contacts to your Telegram channel if you wish. Tap Next to complete the setup process and create your Telegram channel.
There’s a big difference between a Telegram channel and a Telegram group. There can be up to 200,000 members in a Telegram group, but a Telegram channel can have an unlimited number of subscribers.
In a Telegram group, every member can see and check on other participants. A Telegram channel subscriber, on the other hand, cannot view other participants.
How to Create Telegram Channels on Android
Creating a Telegram channel using an Android device is similar to doing so using an Apple, but there are a few key differences to be aware of. Follow these steps to start a new Telegram channel on Android:
- Download the Telegram app to your Android device on the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and look for the pen icon on the lower right side of the screen. Tap the pen and then tap New Channel on the next screen.
- Name your Telegram channel and fill out the description box. Keep these short, succinct, and unique so users can easily see what the channel is all about.
- Tap the camera icon to the left of your channel name to upload a thumbnail photo of yourself, your logo, or another picture relevant to the channel. Then, tap Next.
- Decide if you want your Telegram channel to be publicly searchable by anyone on the web or if you only want it to be accessible to the users you add to the channel. Tap Public or Private to set your channel’s privacy designation, which can also be changed later if you want.
- Create a link to your channel. People can find your Telegram using this link and you can send the link to others via text, chat, or email to help them join.
- Decide if you want users to be able to download content you post and toggle the Restrict Saving Content feature on if you do not want users to have the option to save your text or images. Then, tap Next.
- You will see a list of your personal contacts on the next screen, and you can add them to your Telegram channel with just a few clicks if you like. Then, tap Next to finish creating your channel.
What’s the distinction between public and private channels? You might well ask. Anybody can locate public channels in Telegram search and join them. Private channels, on the other hand, are exclusive societies where the owner must add you or give you an invite link to join.
How to Create Telegram Channels on Desktop
If you want to have Telegram on your desktop or laptop computer, just download the Telegram Desktop App for either Mac or Windows. Then, follow the instructions below to create a Telegram channel using your computer:
- Open the app and click on the note icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- In the pop up menu, you will see New Channel, New Secret Chat, and New Group. Select New Channel.
- Name your channel, add an image for your profile photo thumbnail, and include a succinct but engaging description that lets users know what to expect from the channel. Then, click Next.
- Click on either Public or Private depending on which kind of Telegram channel you want to have. If you choose to create a private channel, you will only be able to invite users. Public channels can be found by anyone searching the internet.
- Create a permanent link to your Telegram channel, or create other invite links that expire after a certain amount of time or after so many uses.
- Click Done to create your Telegram channel.
How can you expand your channel? You can include up to 200 people on your channel right after you create it. If it is a public channel, it includes a username and a telegram.me/ link (for example t.me/telegram). You may post this link on social media, advertise it in publications, or tattoo it on your back. If you have a private channel, you can send an invite link to your family and friends.
Frequently Asked Questions About Creating Telegram Channels
1. How are Telegram channels different from groups?
The primary difference between a Telegram channel and a group is the number of subscribers each can have.
As mentioned earlier in this guide, groups can only have a maximum of 20,000 people subscribed at any given time. Channels can have unlimited subscribers, but do not allow users to send any messages of their own. They can only view and download content, if you have the latter settings enabled.
Other Feature Similarities & Differences
Telegram group members can see who else is in the group, but cannot track how many people view their messages. Channel creators, on the other hand, do have access to data about how much visibility each of their messages are getting by participants.
Another difference is that both channel and group members can automatically see all message history from the start of the channel when they join, but only group creators can turn this feature off if they don’t want new members seeing old chat history.
Both Telegram groups and channels allow users and creators to send silent messages.
2. Is Telegram better than WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is a great communication app that is useful for staying in touch with people individually. Telegram has more features for people who want to broadcast information or send messages to many more people at one time. WhatsApp groups, for example, are much smaller than Telegram groups, capping participants at 2500 per group.
3. Can I change a group on Telegram to a channel or vice versa?
Telegram does not currently allow creators to change their groups to channels or change a channel to a group. But creators do have the option to connect a group to a channel, which then publishes everything posted to the channel in the group as well.
You can link a Telegram group to a channel by going to the Channel Settings and clicking on Discussion, where you can add the group’s information. You can essentially “convert” a group to a channel by going into the Group Settings and restricting how often users can post messages.
4. How do I change the link to my Telegram channel?
You cannot change the link of a private Telegram channel. To get a new link, you must cancel the old channel and create a new one with a new link.
You can change the link of a public Telegram channel at any time by tapping the pencil icon to edit your profile, and then editing the link. You cannot change your link to something already in use on another channel or group.
5. How does someone become the moderator of a Telegram channel?
Both Telegram groups and Telegram channels give creators the option to designate an administrator or moderator.
To add a moderator, tap or click the pencil or note icon on your screen. Then, tap Admins and click Add Admins. Enter the information of the person(s) you want to make a moderator and click Confirm. Only channel creators can designate administrators.
6. How many people can I add to my Telegram channel?
Currently, you can only have 200 people in a Telegram group or 200,000 people in a Telegram supergroup. However, you can add an unlimited number of people to a Telegram channel.
7. How do I delete a Telegram channel?
To delete a Telegram channel, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Telegram app on your selected device.
- Tap or click on your channel profile.
- Click the pencil icon in the upper right hand side of the screen to edit your profile.
- In the Edit Channel screen, scroll to the bottom and click Delete Channel.
- Click on or off of the box that says “Delete for all subscribers” depending on your preferences.
- Click Delete Channel.
Download the Telegram App & Send Messages to Thousands of People Instantly
When you download the Telegram app and create a channel, you can send messages to thousands of people — or more — at once, instantaneously.
Telegram groups and channels are a great way to stay in touch with friends and family or broadcast important updates en masse. Download now to see for yourself.
If you have any questions or worries about all of this, you can reach me through the comment box below (I will be sure to answer you as soon as I can).
Do not forget to check out my free weekly Spaghetti and Social Media newsletter, where I share secret tips to enhance your mobile and online experience.