With this guide you will learn how to block someone on Facebook Messenger. Not only that, I will also show you how to unlock a blocked user on Messenger and answer some of the most frequently asked questions about this topic.
Hi I’m Frankie and I would like to welcome you to my blog.
In today’s guide I will show you how to block someone on Messenger in just a few simple steps. Don’t worry, it’s an easy process that you can perform from an app on iPhone, Android, PC or Mac without needing to be an expert in IT or a geek with your smartphone.
Well, let’s get started!
There are plenty of reasons why a person would want to block someone on Messenger:
- a difficult time with your partner
- a broken friendship that ended badly
- unpleasant user behavior
If you feel, for one of the reasons listed above or for any other reason, that you want to block someone on Messenger right now, then you’d better read this guide.
I’ve split it in two parts: in the first part I’ll explain how to block someone on Messenger in a few steps (and of course how to unblock them), in the second part I’ll show you what happens when you block a user, i.e. what the effects of blocking are.
I’d say not to waste any more time and proceed.
How to block someone on Messenger without them knowing
Before I show you the steps, you should know that blocking a user on Messenger means that they will no longer be able to contact you and you won’t be able to contact them either. In addition, you won’t be able to see any status updates or the last login made by the blocked person.
The procedure for preventing someone from interacting with you on Messenger is different for each operating system or device you use.
How to block people on Facebook Messenger on iPhone (or iPad)
To block someone on Messenger with iOS (iPhone or iPad) the procedure is very simple:
- Open the Messenger app from your iPhone or iPad
- Select the conversation with the unwanted contact
- Tap on the person’s name and choose the “Block” option from the list
- Click on “Block on Messenger” and then on “Block“. The block will be immediately active
This is the quickest method to block a person on Messenger.
However, there is an alternative way that I strongly recommend you to use if you want to block multiple contacts at once.
Here it is:
- Open the Messenger app from your device
- Click on the profile photo situated at the top left of your screen
- A new window will appear. Tap on “Privacy” and then on “Blocked accounts”
- Click on “add” (located at the top right) and find the contact you want to block
- Click on your contact name. You will see a new window with two different options: “Block on Messenger” or “Block on Facebook” (this second option also blocks the contact on Facebook as well as Messenger, click here if you want to know more about it)
- Click on “Block on Messenger” and confirm the action by clicking again on “Block”
How to block a contact in Facebook Messenger on Android
On Android devices the steps to block an unwanted contact on Messenger are just as simple:
- First, login to Messenger via the app and go to the chat page
- Choose the conversation with the person you don’t like
- Tap on the “i” icon (located at the top right, next to the profile name)
- Scroll down until you find “Block”
- Now a new page will open where you can choose to block the contact on Facebook or Messenger
- Click on “Block on Messenger” and then on “Block“
There is also an alternative way to block a contact for Android devices. Here it is:
- Open the Messenger app
- Click on the profile pic at the top left
- Tap on “Privacy” and on the next window on “Blocked People“
- Click on the icon “+” in the top right corner and add the contact you would like to block
N.B. – If you’d like to block more people just follow the same operation again.
How to stop someone messaging you on Messenger on Desktop App
You can also block someone from the computer app. There’s nothing simpler, here’s how:
- Open the Desktop App
- Find and click on the conversation of the user you would like to block
- Click on the three vertical dots (you will find it in the top right corner).
- Click on “Block on Messenger” and then on “Block” in the popup window that will appear
How to block someone on Messenger from browser (PC or Mac)
Finally, if you are used to using Facebook Messenger from your PC or Mac, you can also block a user from contacting you in this way:
- Login to Facebook then click on “Messenger” (located on the left side)
- Choose among the conversations the one with the person to be blocked
- Click on the hole icon of “i” in the upper right hand corner
- Click on “Privacy & Support” and select “Block Messages“
- Now, Facebook will ask you to confirm your action. All you have to do is click on “Block Messages” again.
As you’ve seen blocking a user on Messenger is within everyone’s reach. You don’t need IT skills.
Please remember that blocking someone on Facebook Messenger doesn’t mean blocking them on Facebook. By enabling blocking on Messenger, you will prevent that contact from chatting with you or calling you, either via Messenger or Facebook chat. However, they will continue to see your posts, comments, likes, tags, profile or any other information you post. Obviously, depending on your privacy settings. If you want to prevent this from happening you have to block it not only on Messenger but also on Facebook. I link you to the official Facebook guide.
How to unblock someone on Facebook Messenger
It’s time to show you how to unblock someone on Facebook Messenger.
Once again, the process is very simple and as far as the mobile app is concerned, it is the same for iPhone or iPad as for Android.
I’ll show it to you without wasting any more time:
- Log in to Messenger from smartphone apps
- Click on the profile pic at the top left
- Scroll down and click on “Privacy“. Then on “Blocked Accounts” (or “Blocked people” if you are using an Android device)
- Click on “Unblock” next to the name of the blocked person and then on “Unblock on Messenger“
- Lastly a popup box will appear, click on “unblock” to confirm the operation.
Easy, isn’t it?
The process of unlocking a contact from your Desktop app is as follows:
- Open your app on your computer (PC or Mac)
- Open your chat with the blocked person and click on the three vertical dots icon
- Click on “Unblock on Messenger” and then again on “Unblock“
Ultimately, if you want to unlock a contact from the messenger.com website, follow these steps:
- Log in to messenger.com or Facebook
- Head over to Chat and select the conversation with the person you want to unlock and click on the profile image
- Click on “Unblock”.
Remember, if you decide to unblock a person, you won’t receive anything that they might have sent you while they were blocked.
What happens when I block someone on Messenger?
Well, after I showed you how to block someone on Messenger, it’s time to explain what happens after the block.
If you block someone on Messenger, they can’t send you messages
When you block someone, that person will not be able to send you messages anymore, and the same applies to you. When you open the message thread, you will no longer find the text box, camera icon, GIF icon, etc. You will be greeted by the “Something is Wrong” notification.
Can a blocked person call you on Messenger?
No, blocking a contact on Messenger stops all interaction with them. Fortunately, unlike blocking a contact on WhatsApp where the call buttons are still displayed, Messenger hides the audio and video call buttons for both parties. Still, the blocked person can call you from other apps such as WhatsApp, Telegram etc.. I wrote a guide with the most used apps for making calls and video calls. Check it out so that you can block unwanted contact on all fronts.
Does blocking someone remove the conversation?
No. Blocking someone will not remove the conversation thread anywhere. In other words, old conversations will remain in Messenger and you will be able to read them until you manually delete the chat thread.
Is online status visible for blocked contacts?
Even if you decide to keep the blocked person’s chat thread, you will not be able to see their current status or how active they are in Messenger. Neither will the blocked person be able to do so.
What happens to stories?
Facebook and Messenger stories are similar but different. When you block someone on Messenger, the blocked person won’t be able to see your Facebook and Messenger stories. So if you post something on the Facebook story, where you haven’t blocked the person, the blocked contacts won’t be able to see them either. Likewise, you won’t see the blocked person’s history on Facebook or Messenger.
Can you interact with past messages?
If you open the thread of a blocked person’s conversation, you will notice that the reaction button is still visible. Tapping it will show you the reactions. However, tapping one of them will notify you that you need to unblock the person first.
What happens to groups?
Group chats remain unaltered if you block someone. You will both be able to see each other’s messages in common groups. However, Facebook lets you know when you enter a group in which there is a person you blocked on Messenger as a precautionary measure.
Does the blocking of the contact get notified?
No. The other person will not be notified of any kind. However, they will lose the ability to send you messages or call you as we saw above and from this they will realize that they have been blocked.
Blocking a contact: difference between Messenger and Facebook
Blocking someone on Facebook or Messenger is not the same thing. From the very beginning, when you press the block button on Messenger, you will be asked if you want to block only their messages or block them on Facebook as well.
The former will block the contact only on Messenger with everything you’ve seen so far about what blocking involves. This will have no effect on your Facebook profile. That is, you will still be able to view the contact’s profile on Facebook (you will remain friends) and interact with it (comments and likes). Only when you block them on Facebook, you will lose access to their profile and other interactions on Facebook including Messenger.
How to know if someone blocked you on facebook messenger?
I have been asked this question lots of times! I have good news for you. There are some ways to know if you have been blocked on Facebook Messenger. I have written a guide entirely focused on this topic. I suggest you to take a look at it, here’s its link: 7 tips to know if someone blocked your Messages on Facebook.
How to know if someone blocked you on facebook messenger?
Unfortunately you cannot block messages received from unknown people. However, I would like to show you a trick to prevent them from texting you several times: after you receive the first message from the person who is not your friend, just block them! This way they won’t be able to text you again. In the past (until 2019) it was possible to avoid receiving messages on Messenger from non-friend people. I honestly don’t understand why Facebook removed this option.
We’ve reached the end of this guide. I hope you found all the information you were looking for.
You should know that I’m very happy to help you.
Before we leave, I’d like to give you a quick recap of what I’ve explained, just to make sure you haven’t missed anything.
In the first part of the guide I showed you how to block a user on Messenger, either from iPhone, Android, PC or Mac. The procedure is very simple and does not require any computer skills. Then I showed you how to unblock the blocked person.
In the second part, I showed you what happens when you block a user. I showed you what they can no longer do and what they can still do.
That’s really it for now.
If you have any doubts or questions comment on the post, I will be happy to help you by answering them as quickly as possible.
See you soon.
PS – Did you know that it’s possible to find out if someone blocked you on Messenger? Here’s how!