After you have read this short article, you will be able to easily transfer WhatsApp messages from one Android phone to another and keep all your old chats.
Have you bought a new Android phone and you don’t want to lose your old WhatsApp conversations? Wouldn’t it be amazing if you could have all the chats you had with your friends on the new phone that you have just bought? Here is a guaranteed solution that I’ve personally tested! The following is a definitive step-by-step guide that explains how to transfer WhatsApp messages to your new phone without any data loss. All steps are simple to do, but it’s good to pay attention during the process as any distraction may cause the operation to fail.
I highly recommend reading the whole guide before starting, as well as the warning at the bottom of the page.
– Your old phone
– Your new phone
– Your SIM card
– A computer
N.B. This method only works for Android phones.
How to Transfer WhatsApp Messages to a New Android Phone
Let’s see the 8 steps to follow to export WhatsApp chats in detail:
1. First of all, you have to backup WhatsApp messages from your old phone(1). To do that(2)open WhatsApp and go to Options > Settings > Chat History > Backup chat history.
2. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable and find the folder under the name Database (this is where all backup files are saved).
3. Pick the latest backup file and save it on your computer. The file is easy to spot as the name begins with “msgstore” and ends with the date it was created. Below is an example:
Generic format: msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.db.crypt
4. Once you’ve saved the latest backup file on the desktop or in a folder of your computer, take your new phone and insert your old SIM card(3).
5. Download and install the latest version of WhatsApp on your new phone. Important!!! Don’t open the application after installing. I’ll tell you when.
6. Connect your new phone to your computer with a USB cable. Find the Database folder and open it. Copy the backup file that you have created before msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.db.crypt into the Database folder(4). By doing so, you’ll save WhatsApp messages in the new phone.
7. Now you can open the WhatsApp app on your new phone and follow the procedure to verify your phone number.
8. If you carried out all steps correctly, you will be notified that a new backup copy has been found. Just tap Restore and you are done(5)!
1. The procedure works only if you keep the same phone number.
2. Before backing up, it’s advisable to update WhatsApp to the latest version.
3. Before installing WhatsApp on your new phone, it’s advisable to copy all your contacts from your old phone to the new one (don’t forget the contacts you have on your SIM card). By doing so, WhatsApp will be able to “recognize” all your friends.
4. If the folder doesn’t exist, it is possible to create it manually (Right Mouse Button → Create A New Folder). It’s important to name it “Database”.
5. If you don’t see the old message yet, restart your phone.