In this quick guide, I’ll show you how to send a message to several people at once on WhatsApp though the “broadcast list” – which is different from groups.
Not many people know about this feature, but WhatsApp allows you to forward a message to multiple contacts quickly. By doing so, you can save a lot of time on several occasions. For example, during Christmastime, you may create a greeting message and send it to anyone. It can also be helpful if you have to give the same information to several people. To send the same message to multiple contacts on WhatsApp use the Broadcast function.
Why not just use a group?
The answer is simple: if you create a broadcast list, no one will know that the message has been sent to others.
A broadcast list is helpful when you don’t want to let the recipients know that you have forwarded the same sent message to others. It’s like the “bcc” function (blind carbon copy) in emails.
How to send a message to multiple contacts at once on iPhone and Android
- On the iPhone, open the chats list and click the Broadcast Lists button at the top right under Edit. Then tap on New list at the bottom of the broadcast list and enter the names of the contacts you want to send the message to, or press (+) to pick recipients from your contact list.
- On Android (and other operating systems), click Chat-> Menu at the top right of the screen and then tap on New Broadcast. Type the recipients’ names or press (+) to pick recipients from your contact list.
More about sending messages to multiple contacts:
- None of the recipients will know that the message was sent to other people.
- The recipient receives a single message like in a regular chat.
- If the recipient responds, the new messages will be received only by the sender. If you want your recipients to participate in a group chat, you have to create a Group instead.
- Broadcast messages are received only by recipients that have stored the sender’s phone number in their phone book.