There are several reasons why we could decide to delete a contact on WhatsApp: you may be dealing with unknown contact, you may be bothered by someone with awkward messages, or you might suspect that a friend is spying on you through the application, etc. In any case, all we want is to remove that contact from WhatsApp forever, so they can no longer see when we are online, our profile picture, our status or call us. We want to get rid of them permanently.
Before find out how to do this, let’s make one concept clear: to delete a contact from WhatsApp, it’s not enough to just delete their number from the phone book.
Most users think that deleting the number is enough to solve the problem. But nothing could be further from the truth. When you delete a contact, that person can still send messages, view the last seen, and so on.
To permanently delete a contact, the first thing to do is block them!
This way you will stop receiving their messages! Also, they will no longer be able to get your last seen, read the status of your profile, see your profile picture or any other information about you.
How to delete a contact:
The steps are simple and vary depending on the phone, but there are not too many differences. In any case, the first thing to do is to block the unwanted contact. Let’s see how to do this on iPhones, Androids and Blackberrys:
- Open WhatsApp and go to Settings.
- Open Account >> Privacy >> Blocked.
- Tap the Add New button to block a contact.
- Open WhatsApp and go to Chats screen.
- Tap the Menu Button > Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked Contacts. Here you’ll find all contacts you’ve already blocked.
- In the top right, tap Add blocked contacts.
- Open WhatsApp.
- Open your application menu (button at the top of the screen).
- Click Settings > Privacy > Blocked Contacts.
- To choose which contacts you want to block, click Add Contact at the bottom of the screen.
- If you want to block an unknown contact, just open the chat with that number, scroll to the top of the conversation, and press Block.
N.B. The procedures to block and delete may vary slightly.
How to delete a contact after blocking:
Once you’ve blocked an undesired contact, you make sure that they can no longer disturb you. Now, if you’re really sure you want to break all ties with them, you have to first remove the contact from the phone and then from WhatsApp.
- Tap the name of the contact you want to delete and click Edit in the upper right corner.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen of contact information.
- Click Delete contact.
- Find the contact you want to delete.
- Click on the contact.
- Tap the contact’s name at the top of the screen.
- In the Contact Information screen, go to Menu> View.
- This will display the option to delete the contact from the contact list.
- Open the Favourites panel.
- Select the name of the contact you want to delete.
- Select Remove from Favourites.
For some there may still be a problem: what if the contact that I blocked on WhatsApp keeps calling me?
If so, there is a solution. Let’s see how to activate the option to block all calls and messages on Android and iPhone devices:
To use this option, which blocks all calls and messages from a contact (not only on WhatsApp) it’s necessary that your iPhone is upgraded to the iOS 7 operating system at least. If you don’t know how to do this, you can follow this guide created by the official Apple support. When you upgrade the operating system, the option will be available immediately. Now, follow these guidelines and within seconds you will have blocked a contact on your iPhone.
- Go to “contacts” by clicking on the green phone icon (WARNING! It is ‘important to access contacts through the green phone icon. If you go straight from “Contacts” the operation will fail).
- Choose the person you want to block.
- In the window that pops up, click down on ‘Block contact’. Now they can no longer call you even via FaceTime or send you SMS.
If you change your mind…
How do I unblock a contact?
Following the same procedure, as explained above, tap the Unblock button. Remember that when you block a contact on the iPhone, you can continue to call that person when you want, but you can no longer send messages.
How do I permanently block a contact on Android?
How can you block calls and messages on Android? In the following steps, we will explain the procedure to block a contact only on these Android phones: LG, Samsung, HTC and Google Nexus. If you have another phone, leave a message in the comment form below and I’ll try to help you solve the problem. However, this guide includes the most popular devices. The block mode works only with the contacts that have already been saved, that is, phone numbers that you know you don’t want to receive any calls or messages from. Here are the steps for each model:
Nexus: We begin with a pure Android phone. To activate the option to block a contact you need to follow these steps: Open All Apps> People> Enter the name of the contact you want to block> Menu> Send all calls to voicemail.
HTC: The HTC Sense’s interface greatly simplifies the task of blocking calls from certain phone numbers on Android. To do so, just go to: Agenda> Menu (top right)> Blocked Contacts> Add Contact.
Samsung: Although we have to expect significant changes in the Galaxy generation, the procedure to block a contact should not be changed. Go to: Settings> My Device> Call> Call Rejection > Here you can add the contacts you want to block.
LG: The LG has an interface very similar to the Samsung to block calls: Settings> Call> Call Rejection> Call Rejected. Here you can directly enter the number you want to block. Although it may be fairly obvious to say, if you want to block a phone number that is not in your address book, you must first create a new contact on your phone, and then follow the blocking procedure as described above.
What does a contact see after they have been blocked?
After blocking a contact on WhatsApp, in addition to not being able to contact you via messages or calls, they can no longer see your information. In particular, your last seen (you can hide it without blocking contact), profile picture and status update will not be shown any more.